Monday, January 14, 2008

My Favorite Animals; The Baluga Whale

When I was a child me and my sister used to sing a song about a baluga whale. The song went something like this;

"Baby baluga, Baby baluga, Baby baluga in the deap blue sea,
You swim so wild and you swim so free,
Down in the ocean, in the sea below, Your just a little white whale with a gulp.

Baby baluga, baby baluga, Is your water warm, is your moma home...."

The Baluga whale was one of my favorite creatures in the ocean as a child.
Observing the Baluga
It is such an interesting creature as well. The adult Baluga has a white coat and are known as the "Canaries" of the deep because of their musical voices. The baby baluga's have greyish black coats to blend in the darkness of the ocean. They are part of the whale family if you didn't already know. They also have a distinctive face, with a short snout, bulbouse forhead (probably so they can make interesting noises), and "baby- like" lips. They also have a flexible neck, they are very "fatty" looking, have tiny little eyes, and have a very short dorsal fin.

My feelings twards the Baluga
Whenever I see a baluga whale I can't help but gawk at how cute they are. There faces remind me of a baby's face. I just wish I could come up to one and pinch it's little cheeks and give it a kiss on the forehead because they are just sooooo cute! They seem friendly too. They kinda remind me of the dolphin, but seem more docile. They look like smart and social creatures. I'm kinda glad they live in the polar region, because if they didn't they might be hunted to a scarcety in no time.

No comments: